Thursday, 28 April 2011

Android 2.2

Okay so being an IT person tends to make you overly critical of Technology.  So I like my phone as I've already said, but because of the amount of extras that Orange adds to the ROM it does make it run like a snail.

So I decided to upgrade to Android 2.2.  Normally I'd advise people to not do this till your warranty has expired as changes like this invalidate any you had.  So I better hope nothing goes wrong :)

Following the guide I found here I planned on just doing the bit's that I could from home.  I was going to do the final bit at work.  But by the time I'd done all the downloads, copied the ROM (Using the Swedish ROM as it's listed as the most stable) I was only a few step's from it being done so thought may as well.  In for a penny in for a pound as they say.

With the pre-reading and downloading of the files it took me about 30 minutes from start to finish.  Most of which was waiting for the ROM to download.  Actual time for the ROM to install and my phone to be back and working was about 4-5 minutes.

Now if you do decide to upgrade your phone make sure you follow the right guide.  The one I listed works for the phone I have but each phone is slightly different.  Read the instructions through once before you do it and do ever step.  Most of the problems in the ZTE guide were where people skipped steps.  Make a note of every App you want as once the ROM is installed you're going to need to install them again.  Though going from 2.1 - 2.2 means you can install apps on the SD card.  Save your contacts to your SD card as guess what they go as well.  As do any favorites and so on.

Once it's done you really won't look back as everything runs a lot quicker.