Friday, 18 October 2013

On the Painting Bench

Along with the Undead and a few other odd pieces for the Campaign, I've also been painting my own force. Normally in a Skirmish game I paint what I need for my warband and then worry about everything else later on.  This time because I knew that we might be using the various forces for NPCs, I painted up a good pile of miniatures.

I still have a lot more than I could paint as well.  Most of the models are from Peter Pig.  They have a good range of Vikings and as I didn't need that many I picked up a pack of Bowmen and a pack of Generals and Heroes.  That gave me 16 models in total for the grand price of £5.60, plus I already had 4 others from another range (Not sure who :/)

 

 

 

Like I said I still have plenty of spare and my plan is to paint them as well.  I also need to get some Standard Bearers/Musicians to expand the force out.  If I keep it going this way I should have enough to play SAGA but for a lot less than at 28mm.

When buying any range you always end up with duplicate looking models.  For most a way around this issue is in doing a different paint scheme on the duplicate miniature.  On the Bowmen I wanted to give them shields as well, but as they didn't come with any I had to improvise.  After trying out a few different ideas I went for brass pins.

 
They painted up a lot better than I thought and I plan on doing a pile more to leave laying about.  The boss is a bit of Blue-tac, but I think Greenstuff will be better next time.

Here are a few pictures of my force.  From left to right are Leif, Rollo, Ragnar and Floki.  I based the character names on the Viking TV series.


As I mentioned in the week 1 entry, I had enough to add another model to my force, Kauko.  He's a basic warrior and he'll need to make his mark in the force to get a name like Leif and Rollo.


Okay here is the stats for them.

Ragnar Lothbrook
Points 60
Quality 4+
Combat 4
Special Rules
Leader, Group Fighter, Shooter: Short


Rollo SpindeldrapÄre
Points 38
Quality 4+
Combat 4
Special Rules
Group Fighter, Shooter: Short


Floki
Points 26
Quality 4+
Combat 3
Special Rules
Shooter: Short


Leif Trollbane
Points 26
Quality 4+
Combat 3
Special Rules
Shooter: Short


This is my new addition.

Kauko
Points 26
Quality 4+
Combat 3
Special Rules
Shooter: Short


You'll notice that everyone has Shooter: Short.  We decided that when we created each warband that everyone had to share a skill.  So I went with the idea that my raiding band were carrying varous knives, throwing axes etc.

And yes before anyone tells me I need to learn how to take better pictures :)